One of the toughest decisions that you will face in life is deciding the best Internet connection for your house or your office. While many companies will claim to provide you with the best service at the most affordable rates, you have to look at a couple of features before making a decision.
So, here goes:
How to Choose the Best Internet Connection?
This blog post aims at providing you with a comprehensive guide on how to select the best Internet service provider for yourself. You might think that affordable price and high speed are the only pre-requisites but there is much more to it.
Companies might claim that they will provide you with unlimited high-speed Internet. But statements like these should not overwhelm you until you carry thorough research. The research involves you comparing the various features and factors before making an informed decision.
So, here is a comprehensive yet detailed guide for you regarding what to look for in an Internet connection.
Wouldn’t deny the fact that speed indeed plays an integral part in deciding the service provider that you want to opt for. As a general rule, the faster your Internet connection, the better. This holds true, in particular, for remote workers. For example, the freelancers and business owners who operate from the comfort of their homes. They need access to a fast Internet connection so that they stay connected to others.
To highlight the importance of a fast Internet connection, imagine operating from home and connected to employees whose Internet works at 20 times more the speed. This will not only build pressure on you but also make you conscious. Therefore, opt for fiber optic Internet, if possible. Or you can look for other Broadband deals if possible. You will get access to one of the fastest connections if you opt for it.
Compare Download and Upload Speeds
You will also need to compare the upload and download speeds that various Internet service providers are offering. It is very essential to do so. Just having a look at the overall speed is not enough. The world of Internet is a very different place now. You no longer have to rely on dial-up connections. You get to choose from satellite cable or fiber optics.
Therefore, when you are choosing the type of Internet connection that you should opt for or the service provider, compare on an apples-to-apples basis. Comparing the upload and download speeds is one of them.
Features and Add-ons
If you plan on spending money on an Internet package, then you should also check all the features that it is offering. Compare it with the features that other companies are offering and then decide. Some of the things that you will have to look into include:
- Hardware: You will have to see the hardware that one company is offering with its Internet package and compare it with other companies. Some companies offer free wireless routers. While others require you to purchase the equipment.
- Extra Add-ons: these will vary from company to company. For example, some service providers will offer you free online backup services, antivirus program subscriptions, and personal website hosting. While others may also offer you free Wi-Fi hotspot access. This is a useful feature for mobile users.
You will have to look for the company that provides add-ons to you. Only then will you be able to look for the best Internet connection for yourself. Of course, there are many other things that matter but add-ons are always overwhelming.
Customer Service and Reliability
After you have considered all the technical aspects, you then need to pay attention to the customer service that the company provides. Because you will contact the reps whenever you face an issue. And if you do not find a courteous or a knowledgeable customer service rep, then you won’t feel like opting for that service.
Types of Home Internet Services Available
Before you make any choice, you should also be aware of the types of connections that are available to you. So that you can easily decide the one that is the most suitable for you or your office. Because different types of connections have different features. Therefore, it is necessary to have a sound knowledge about them as well. The various types of connections available to you are:
• Cable Internet- Cable Internet is the one that is available to you via the cable at your home. This type of Internet connection provides you with a better speed than DSL. A drawback of opting for this type of Internet connection is that you share the service with people in your neighborhood. Thus, the speed that you might get can get affected.
• DSL- This type of connection is delivered to your house via your already existing telephone line. This is the cheapest form of the broadband Internet The maximum speed that a DSL connection can deliver is 25Mbps. Which is very slow and is not sufficient for meeting the daily needs.
• Satellite Internet- This form of Internet is delivered to your home or office via satellite service. Satellite service is slow. It usually provides users with speeds lower than 20 Mbps. This is slower than even DSL.
• Fiber Optic Internet– This type of Internet operates like DSL but it offers speeds that can go up to 500 Mbps. Hence, making it a favorite among many. However, this connection is also expensive. And often the offices use it. But houses have started using FiOS as well.
However, no matter what service you choose, if the Customer service center is incompetent, you would suffer. Therefore, pay special attention to that. As your friends and family for suggestions. Cox Internet Customer service reps are very good in this regard. They answer your queries there and then. The company also offers technical support 24/7. Therefore, making it easier for businesses to contact the company and resolve the biggest of issues as well.